Sleep disorders are conditions that cause changes in the way that you sleep.
Sleep disorders can affect your overall health and quality of life.
Sleep disorders can be grouped according to behaviors, problems with your natural sleep-wake cycles, breathing problems, difficulty sleeping or how sleepy you feel during the day.
Some common types of sleep disorders include:
- Insomnia - Having difficulty falling asleep or staying asleep throughout the night.
- Sleep apnea - Experiencing abnormal patterns in breathing while you are asleep.
- Restless legs syndrome (RLS) - Causes an uncomfortable sensation and an urge to move the legs while you try to fall asleep.
- Narcolepsy - Extreme sleepiness during the day and falling asleep suddenly during the day.
Some of the signs and symptoms of sleep disorders include:
- Excessive daytime sleepiness
- Irregular breathing or increased movement during sleep
- Irregular sleep and wake cycle
- Difficulty falling asleep.
When to see a doctor
If you have trouble sleeping or are experiencing abnormal tiredness during the day, contact us now.